Media Release ·
Queen’s Baton to visit Great Barrier Reef
School children from Reef Guardian schools in Cairns will accompany the Queen’s Baton on a royal Reef visit to popular tourist spot Moore Reef on 15 March.
The Queen’s Baton Relay Reef experience is part of the 388-day long journey through all nations and territories of the Commonwealth – a Commonwealth Games tradition that celebrates diversity and inspires excitement in the lead up to the big event.
Queen’s Baton facts
- The baton is made of macadamia timber sourced from the Gold Coast hinterland.
- The baton’s timber is fused with recycled plastic featuring internal LED lighting that projects rotating rainbow hues.
- It’s bound together by a platinum band engraved with the names of the 70 Commonwealth nations.
- Inside the baton is a message from Queen Elizabeth II that will be read by HRH Prince Charles at the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony on 4 April.
- The Queen’s message is written on paper made from desert spinifex.
- The Gold Coast 2018 Queen’s Baton Relay is the longest ever, spanning 388 days and travelling 230,000 km through every Commonwealth nation and territory.